Author Topic: Pistons  (Read 1273 times)

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
Pistons
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:58:41 PM »
I suppose I'm like quite a few Hesketh owners, in that I try to pick up spares as and when I can...

I have a "pair" of pistons... Except they're not a pair...

The one on the right is a fairly recent acquisition, but the one on the right I've had for a while...

You can see that the crowns are not iddentical, but the differences don't stop there...

Left Piston Details:

This piston has "STD" and "B" stamped into the crown.  Cast into the underside it has "413P Hepolite"  The "AE" symbol, "20817" and "C1" and "81D".  It also has two arrows indicationg the "front " of the piston, both facing the inlet side.  The recesses for removing the pin circlips is cast into the lowest part of the pin bore.  (I tried to take some detail shots, but they turned out too poor to use...)

This piston came with a set of rings, a gudgeon pin but no circlips

Right Piston Details:

This piston has "B" stamped into the crown.  Cast into the underside it has "20309".  Additionally, it has "No10 DEV'T 23175" and "R3326" hand engraved into the widest part of the piston skirt, underneath the gudgeon pin bosses.  The recesses for removing the pin circlips is cast at the "3 O-Clock" and "9 O-Clock" positions (90o away from the postion on the other piston).

This piston came with a gudgeon pin, but without a set of rings or circlips.

So... What's what guys..?

Miti
1974 Triumph T160 Trident (New Project)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Trike Project)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Red Sport)
1982 Hesketh V1000 (Production/Development Engine)