Author Topic: Wheels...  (Read 2462 times)

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
Re: Wheels...
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 06:16:16 PM »
A wee update on this topic...

I decided to keep the swingarm and chain adjusters as 'standard parts' and focussed on making the wheel fit the bike...

To that end, the wheel has had new bearings fitted and a new centre spacer....

The RHS bearing has a 17mm bore to suit the axle.

The LHS bearing has a 25mm bore and the centre spacer has a 'step' matching this.

The LHS wheel spacer has a shoulder with an OD matching the wheel bearing inner race and then steps down to 25mm, passing through the LHS bearing and into the larger end of the centre spacer.  The LHS wheel spacer has a 17mm bore to match the axle...

All this allowed me to fit the wheel onto the 17mm axle...

To get the wheel and sprocket carrier/cush drive assy mounted in the centre of the swing-arm, AND the rear sprocket correctly aligned, a LOT of metal had to come off the sprocket carrier...

Before we could do this, the 5 x M12 studs had to come out - they're loc-tited in and a LOT of heat was required to get them out of the alloy carrier...  Once removed, the sprocket carrier had some serious mods:
  • The sprocket mounting face was machined to move the sprocket closer to the wheel (about 20mm)
  • The sprocket carrier bearing was moved further into the carrier to allow excess metal to be removed from the carrier centre
  • The sprocket carrier had approx 26mm of excess metal removed to permit the wheel to be centred in the Hesketh swing-arm
  • The sprocket carrier dust seal seat was re-machined to permit the seal to be fitted to the modified carrier

The original spacer between the sprocket carrier bearing and RHS wheel bearing was maufactured for a 20mm (hollow) axle.  A new one SS was made to fit the 17mm axle and accommodate the shortened distance between the two bearings...

A new RHS wheel spacer was manufactured to ensure the correct spacing between the modified sprocket carrier and the swing-arm...

And now we're here (Tiger 955i wheel in V1000 swing-arm):

That's a 150/70 V 17 Avon Road-Rider.  The clearance between the sidewall and the chain is 4mm, so I'm well pleased with this...

Next up is the rear brake...  I'm happy to keep the original Tiger/Thunderbird disk (future replacements will be 'fully floating' from EBC, I reckon) so now I need to make a decision on a suitable caliper.  I have the twin piston, single sided Nissin caliper from the Tiger, and it's original mount, but I'm not convinced thay these will be 'plug and play' on the V1000.

The sharp-eyed amongst you will have spotted the temporary LHS wheel spacers (yes, two). These will eventually be modified to accommodate an underslung caliper mount.

In my head (at the moment) this mount will have a deep-groove roller bearing, matching the axle, and a couple of circlips to ensure the mount stays centralised on the bearing...  I'll use the original V1000 spherical bearing front attachment for the torque arm and (probably) another spherical bearing/rose joint at the caliper end too...

I'm hoping to replicate the 'parallelogram' effect of the original V1000 floating caliper mount, but the underslung caliper will mean less metal is required in the new mount...  I say, hoping...  We'll see...

More, as it happens...

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:29:02 PM by Miti »
1975 Triumph Trident 750 (New Project)
1980 Yamaha XS1100 (Midnight Special)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Trike Project)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Reg'd 1985)
1982 Hesketh V1000 (Pre-Production Engine)