Author Topic: Specification list.  (Read 4922 times)

R3SC

• Brit V-Twin Fan
Specification list.
« on: November 10, 2013, 07:22:33 PM »
Hi Guys,
This is probably a difficult question but does anyone know how many factory bikes were actually made?

On the specifications page there appears to be a total mis match between frame number production and engine number production with the latter being the most consistent. It shows much later frame numbers fitted to earlier engines and vice versa, with very little correlation, why is this?

Did a lot of frames\frame numbers go missing. Were they prototypes that were scrapped but still issued with numbers?

I hope someone can help with the confusion I currently have, it's my age!!  :)

Regards

Pete.

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
Re: Specification list.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:32:14 PM »
Depends what you mean by "Factory Bikes"..?

The top of the list shows prototype and "show" bikes built at Easton Neston.

There were about 139 or so built at Towcester by "Hesketh Motorcycles PLC" 1981 - 1982

Then about another 37 or so at Easton Neston by "Hesleydon Ltd" 1983 - 1984

Then another 50 or so at Easton Neston/Turweston by "Broom Development Engineering" 1984 - 2010

Then four or five at Kingswood by "Hesketh Motorcycles Ltd". 2011 - 2013

But the Frame Number/Engine Number debate has been around ever since the first bike hit the road... We've heard of multiple engines with the same number and frames too (as recently as this year).  Numbering systems changed as the years went by and new legal requirements came and went... The records that BDE kept were all lost when the Turweston premises were burgled in 2006...  The records from the Factories were thrown out into a skip when Hesleydon went bust, but HOC members rescued most of them... There are build cards for many of the early (81 - 84) bikes and HOC may be able to provide specifics for yours if you provide engine/frame No's... (Not for mine though, unfortunately).

I think that the real problems with engine/frame No. mis-match came about when the warranty claims started thick and fast... Early engine were plagued with oil system problems and sprang leaks like the Trevi Fountain... Post-production development helped this and engines were changed under warranty, so changing the engine number...  My own bike hasn't even got a proper engine number...

Hope that helps. but I doubt it somehow... :-\

Jeff

1974 Triumph T160 Trident (New Project)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Trike Project)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Red Sport)
1982 Hesketh V1000 (Production/Development Engine)

R3SC

• Brit V-Twin Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:13:25 AM »
Hi Again Jeff,

Once again, thanks for your input on this subject. I just wanted to try and find out/confirm where my bike was actually built and why there was such a large mis match on engine and frame numbers. My bike was dispatched and registered early 1982 and carries frame number 203 with engine number 080 stamped into the top of the crank case. The description of the bike is exactly as per the specification list but the list doesn't tell me exactly where it was made. I always like as much history as possible!

Who is the best contact for information on this?

I know that the bike had the EN10 mods in the early 90's and Dave Hartell helped me out with identifying this fact. The bike has been stood for many years and when i removed the oil filter outer cover someone had wrote the date the filter was changed on it in felt pen which was the 25-1-91which sort of ties in to the date when the EN10 was carried out!?

I'm sure it will unfold in time.

Regards

Pete.

Tig

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »
Hi Pete

If i am correct i think it was Keith ROWLES who built up the list of known club bikes (Engine and frame numbers), the HOC Web page as his email link as dataman@heskethownersclub.org.uk which i beleiev is still correct.

Jeff has done a sterling job of setting up the Forum but it is still new to US Heketh Types and it is only slowly catching on, buit it it is really good to see a new member getting stuck in.

Where do you live ?

Are you coming to the Christmas (well post Christmas dinner) ?

Regards

Tig

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 02:08:45 PM »
Hi Tig;
Yes, Keith is still maintaining the basic spec list for all V1000/Vampire models and liaises with me regularly when update info becomes available to him.  I update the Specifications Web Page ASAP after Keith contacts me.

Since my last post on this, Pete and I have spoken offline and I was able to source the build cards for his bike via Les Roulstone - 16 pages..!!  I also mentioned the "info gap" caused by the burglary and that EN10 data would probably never be recovered (unfortunately).

Jeff

R3SC

• Brit V-Twin Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 09:43:54 PM »
Hi Tig,
Jeff has been very helpful and I now have a clearer picture of the "birth" of my bike. It's really interesting to read the build cards and to see all the faults that the bike had during manufacture, some of which it still has to this day!

Re the Christmas dinner, sadly I'm in Lanzarote for my wife's birthday but would have liked to have met you guys.

I made the effort to go down to the stafford show a few weeks ago to try and meet up with the HOC. I have for many years avoided such events as I have a disability which prevents me walking any distance so i came with my mobility scooter to see the stand, only to discover that the stand was upstairs and my mobility scooter was 2" too long to fit in the lift so i missed it! Best laid plans etc!!

Anyway, I'm starting to get to know a few people via mail etc and Jeff has been instrumental in pointing me in the righ direction on a number of issues so I'll get there eventually and the bike is still on target to be on the road for April 14!

For your info, I live in Sheffield, the south east side of Sheffield and I'm only a mile or so from the Derbyshire border. We have some seriously good roads up here so I may contemplate inviting any other owners to a Derbyshire "Blast" next summer when the sun shines and I'll maybe meet some of you then.

Regards

Pete.

Will F

• Brit V-Twin Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 02:16:43 PM »
hi Pete i live in Holmfirth whereabouts are you? be good to meet up sometime in summer? best wishes Will ps does anyone know if i could track down the build cards for my v1000 ?

only a hobo

• any two wheel Fan
Re: Specification list. build cards
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 03:17:01 PM »
I need to know your engine & frame numbers.
 I only have daventry built bikes
and some of them are missing.

HOCAdmin

• Administrator
  • It wasn't me, I didn't do it, it's probably Spam!
    • Hesketh Owner's Club
Re: Specification list. build cards
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 04:07:52 PM »
I need to know your engine & frame numbers.
 I only have daventry built bikes
and some of them are missing.

Hi Les.  Nice to see you on here...  :)

Could I please advise that all info regarding specific numbers for specific bikes be committed to Personal Messages only.  To send a User a personal message, just left click your mouse on their User ID at the top/left of their post and select "Send PM" from the menu.

HOCAdmin
A man with a plan... occasionally...

R3SC

• Brit V-Twin Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 07:56:42 PM »
hi Pete i live in Holmfirth whereabouts are you? be good to meet up sometime in summer? best wishes Will ps does anyone know if i could track down the build cards for my v1000 ?

Hi Will,

I live near to Rother Valley Country Park and I can be out Into the twisty bits of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire within 15 minutes.

It would be good to get together in the summer for a run out. We have a few local bike meets in this neck of the woods as well, we have Scarcliffe and South Leverton, both of which are very popular during the summer months so I'm sure we can sort something.

I've actually only ever seen one Hesketh in the flesh and that one was a red one at South Leverton last summer, was that you??

Regards

Pete.

Will F

• Brit V-Twin Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 02:02:55 PM »
mines black and gold with very loud pipes and bellmouths she sounds unbelievable,will talk soon my number is 01484 688192 best wishes Will

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 06:15:44 PM »
mines black and gold with very loud pipes and bellmouths she sounds unbelievable,will talk soon my number is 01484 688192 best wishes Will

Is this you and yours then Will..?

Jeff

Will F

• Brit V-Twin Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 04:21:24 PM »
yes it is

flyingbiker

• Brit V-Twin Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 10:05:01 PM »
Hi guys.
I am in Long Eaton halfway between Nottingham and Derby.
My bike was built in 92 by MB.

Simon

Will F

• Brit V-Twin Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 10:48:17 AM »
hi Simon lets arrange a small hesketh meet say in April at matlock?