Author Topic: Replacement tyres.  (Read 496 times)

jackb

• Brit V-Twin Fan also modern classics.
Replacement tyres.
« on: June 21, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »
Hi all. I am a new and inexperienced member.
I bought my Hesketh at the auction in 84. Minutes cj had the bike in fir modification and service but very few miles are on the clock, 1600 in fact. I have recently had a complete service carried out along with mot.
The tyres are original. Bike has been kept in heated garage and covered all of it's life and us running quite well though running a bit rich I think and suffers some misfiring. Main thing at the moment is my need fir advice on replacing tyres, type, make, spec etc. I would really appreciate any help.
So nice to. Eva me to talk to experienced enthusiasts.
Thanks, Jack.

Dave Snr

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
Re: Replacement tyres.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 01:53:14 PM »
Hi Jack,

The tyre sizes on the Hesketh are available from all the main tyre manufacturers and they're all good, so if you have a preferred make, go for that one.
You'll notice a real difference compared to your 30+ years old tyres.
I've tried various makes over the 80k miles on my Hesketh and they all grip well. Because the Hesketh is heavy the wear rate can be quite high, particularly if you do a lot of 2 up touring with luggage. I've found the Michelin Pilot Activ tyres give a much higher mileage than other makes, keep the shape well and provide good grip in the wet and dry, but I guess high mileage is not your priority!
Only other thing to mention is that Avons are often held in stock by tyre suppliers and are a good tyre and fitted to a lot of Heskeths, but they are slightly wider than other makes, by about 10mm. No problem on the rear, but the front can rub the mudguards brackets. Simple matter to slacken the 4 nuts holding the mudguard and adjust to optimum poristion to clear the tyre, so not a problem, just something to be aware of.
Best regards
Dave H

AndyG

• Brit Twin Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 09:14:26 PM »
Hi Jack, as another new Hesketh owner I have just fitted a new set of tyres to my bike. I also have a 1980 Triumph Bonneville and have fitted  Avon Roadriders to both bikes. They are reasonably priced and offer good grip in the wet or dry. They seem to be wearing quite well on the Bonnie but I have only had them on the Hesketh for approx. 700 miles but no problems as yet.They are AM26 100/90x19 front and 130/90x17 rear. Both v rated and fitted with new inner tubes, cost approx. £68 for the front and £85 for the rear. Innertubes,fitting are extra.
Never been really bothered about the longevity of tyres as long as they have really good grip, living in East Yorkshire and riding regularly into North Yorkshire we have some really good twisty A and B roads to exercise your bike on ! 
My Hesketh was also running a bit rich, with the lower cylinders plug alot darker than the top cylinder. The local bike shop balanced the carbs for me but noticed that the choke was not closing fully on the bottom cylinders carb as the cable was binding/getting trapped somewhere under the tank. Now all sorted.
Have just picked up a new  Motad exhaust system from Pete White in Soham as I`m currently running the bike on straight through, reverse cone megas. They sound awesome but I`m told the Hesketh needs some back pressure in the exhausts to function correctly.
Kind regards,
AndyG 

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 01:34:07 PM »
Hi Andy;

Totally agree with you regarding the Roadrider tyres - I've put 11,000 miles on my V1000 using those tyres throughout.  What Dave says about the frond mudguard is valid and a 100/90 Avon can be tricky to get the mudguard correctly positioned with.

I solved the problem when I reversed my forks (calipers at rear now) and fitted a Rickman fibreglass guard.  It doesn't have the two recesses for the brake pipes, so gives tons of clearance for the tyre...

With regard to the exhausts.  It's interesting to note that Paul Sleeman had new, less restrictive, silencers made for the last V1000's produced as he considered the original pattern to be too restrictive...

Jeff
1975 Triumph Trident 750 (New Project)
1980 Yamaha XS1100 (Midnight Special)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Trike Project)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Reg'd 1985)
1982 Hesketh V1000 (Pre-Production Engine)

jackb

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 12:11:12 PM »
Hi Andy. Feeling embarrassed at not paying sufficient attention when you were good enough to reply. I have been away a lot and as you can tell from mileage (1600) since registered in 1989, it has not been a priority. Having said that I guess it is because bike has never rub really well. Please see my post of today re ignition help needed. Really is a mystery to me. I am though very grateful to you for your reply and once I can sort out the engine problems I will be following your lead.
Once again, my apologies for this belated reply.
Regards
Jack.

jackb

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 12:30:14 PM »
Dave H.
Same apology to you to Dave for not acknowledging your very helpful reply so, many thanks to you for your advice and interest. As said to Andy, when I can get bike running I will happily change the Tyres and look forward to some enjoyable mileage.
Best regards
Jack.

jackb

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 03:26:23 PM »
An appeal to all!!!!
I have bought Aron's and have bike in at Bikers World now for fitting. Unfortunate the problem of fit with the front mudguard is presenting a problem. Fixing bolts loosen' and attempt adjustment to clear. It is worsened by lifting and dropping to limit helps but still catches quite badly. So, I'm stuck for the moment and looking for ideas. If anyone can help I would be very relieved. ?????
Jackb