Author Topic: New bikes.  (Read 69 times)

AndyG

• Brit Twin Fan
New bikes.
« on: March 17, 2019, 09:09:43 AM »
Is it just me or are new bikes getting smaller. My son has just bought a Triumph Street Triple. I`m  6`3" and it just doesn`t look right.
https://imgur.com/qE5fXiy

Rob B

• L-Twins and Tripples Fan
Re: New bikes.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 03:27:32 PM »
Its not just you, I pre-ordered a 1200 Thruxton-R  before they were available at the dealer. Very excited when they phoned to say it was ready for collection and I was waiting outside for them to OPEN the following morning. I sat on it for the time and nearly cried. It simply didn't fit! My knees were a good 2 inches further forward than the knee cutouts in the tank, bars too close and wrong angle, footrests completely wrong. I decided I would try and make it work but returned the bike four weeks later, and lost a LOT of money!

Moral of the story, when reading pre-release bike press articles, look at how big the test rider is! Also when considering the latest batch of Triumphs, remember they are built elsewhere now, by smaller people! I do have several of the early 90's "spine-frame" Hinckley built Triumphs which are physically big bikes, compared to what is coming out of Thailand with a Triumph badge on it now...

On the other hand, remember how big the Laverda Jota was when new at the Slaters showroom? It doesn't seem so big now, unless I have grown of course... :-)

Robert
1982 Hesketh V1000    
Laverdas: 1980 Jota     1985 SFC1000
Triumphs: 1994 900 Daytona Super III   1995 900 Sprint
1996 900 Speed Triple 
1999 1200 Daytona Special Edition

AndyG

• Brit Twin Fan
Re: New bikes.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 01:16:29 AM »
Before I bought my Hesketh I thought the new Norton Commando looked the biz. Same thing as you. Tried one at the NEC bike show. Knees 2" past the cutouts in the tank. Tried other bikes too. Same thing. Some bikes I couldn`t even turn the handlebars because my knees got in the way.The attached photo shows a Hesketh owner on the right and on the left an ex world champion bike racer and bike tester who fits on all new bikes because he`s the size of a jockey(no offence intended Mr Fogarty)
 https://imgur.com/FxIoqw9