Author Topic: Oil Leak  (Read 1980 times)

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
Oil Leak
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:01:28 PM »
Ever since I've had my V1000 it's had a problem keeping the oil inside the engine...

I know... It's a "feature"... It stops the casings corroding,,, etc, etc...

It's dear stuff, the engine needs it and I'd rather it was inside, where it'll do the most good...

Here's the one that seems to be giving me the most grief:

It seems to propogate from the left-hand, rear of the engine and (as the bike is standing slightly nose-down on the sloping floor of my garage) it runs down to the centre-front of the engine and then drips onto the floor... >:(

I've checked the tightness of the crankcase allen bolts and the stand mounting brackets - all tight

Could the oil be coming out past these bolts..?

Ta for any input on this...

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:36:31 PM by HOCAdmin »
1974 Triumph T160 Trident (New Project)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Trike Project)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Red Sport)
1982 Hesketh V1000 (Production/Development Engine)

Dave Snr

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
Re: Oil Leak
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:10:41 PM »
On the back of the engine, there is an oil drain plug, cunningly hidden by the stand.
It's on the left hand crankase, so in line with your oil drip.
Worth checking the copper washer.
When you do an oil change, most of the oil comes out of the front drain plug.
But it's always best to remove the rear plug as well.
Not much oil comes out, but the magnet does collect a lot of debris from the gearbox, so worth cleaning off.

Dave H

HOCAdmin

• Administrator
  • It wasn't me, I didn't do it, it's probably Spam!
    • Hesketh Owner's Club
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »
Hi Dave;

Nice try mate, but my "non-standard" engine doesn't have that drain plug... I did think that it was hidden by the centre-stand, but I've replaced that since buying the bike and there's definitely no 2nd drain plug on mine...

Any more ideas..?

Jeff
A man with a plan... occasionally...

Dave Snr

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:09:14 PM »
Hi Jeff,
Well it was a good shot. Forgot you've got a pre-production development engine.
Next suggestion - Dipstick.
No, not an insult. The dipstick sometimes leaks oil vapour, it the "O" rings aren't good.
That could find it's way down the back of the engine.
But it would leave a trail that you would see, so it's a deparate suggestion.
One more, off the wall suggestion, as yours is a development engine.
The exploded engine drawing that is often published is of a pre-production engine - it has the small access plugs to enable easy access to measure the valve clearances which were deleted on production engines.
Anyway, that shows a breather arrangement at the back of the left hand crankcase on the top of the gearbox.
This was obviously deleted on production engines as the battery tray is in the way, so the breather was moved to the front Sock. Does yours have this breather point blanked off and leaking?
You'll need to take the battery side cover off and shine a light under the battery tray to see it.

Dave H

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:28:17 PM »
Hi Dave

I don't think there's anything there... I've had the generator and clutch casing off the bike and that meant disconnecting the generator wires underneath the battery tray (good practice for gynaecology classes).

I did forget to menton that this leak isn't just when the engine is running... It's all the bloomin' time... Seems that it actually gets better when the engine's hot... Either that, or the oil is busy finding more interesting places to leak out of... ::)

Jeff

Rob B

• L-Twins and Tripples Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 06:40:39 AM »
Have you tried the bolt that runs through the front rose joint for the rear wheel torque arm, actually the hole in the casing that it is screwed into? It is also one of the centre stand bracket bolts and can be prone to either falling out or stripping the thread in the casing. On an engine I took to bits I found a load of alluminium swarf in the sump which I tracked down to this bolt hole which as standard is drilled and tapped blind. HOWEVER, at some time in the past someone had drilled to far and all the way through into the sump in order to fit a helicoil. Hence, oil was being forced out along the threads and soaking everything arround the back of the sump andthe centre stand. I filled the hole with Devcon and that was one leak cured.

Rob B
1982 Hesketh V1000    
Laverdas: 1980 Jota     1985 SFC1000
Triumphs: 1994 900 Daytona Super III   1995 900 Sprint
1996 900 Speed Triple 
1999 1200 Daytona Special Edition

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 01:20:15 PM »
Thanks Rob

I'll check that... In the photo I posted, you can see my "mod" to the small screws that hold the starter-cable p-clips... Thos (M4) holes are also supposed to be blind drilled/tapped and I found that they'd been taken right up into the sump at some time and all three were leaking badly...  My fix was to open them out to M5 ('cos I have a lot of M5 stainless in stock, but very little in the way of M4), then fit a short stud with a copper washer and nylok nut to seal against the cases... The new p-clips are now held away from the cases, but at least the fixings seem oil-tight...

Next job will be to research 'Devcon'... The name is familiar and I think it's a 2-part metal filler, but I'll double check, all the same...

Did you apply this onto the bolt/into the thread, to seal it?  Or up the hole, to block it..?

Cheers

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:40:26 AM by HOCAdmin »

Rob B

• L-Twins and Tripples Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 08:38:51 PM »
Hello Jeff,

Any of the 2-part plastic steels will do the job but DEVCON have a good range, including Plastic Aluminium! www.devcon.com

I had my cases apart at the time so cleaned the hole with acetone and filled it from the inside. If you do unscrew the bolt, be sure to remove all the weight from the centre stand and side stand first. A few blocks of wood under the sump holds the bike up OK but one day I will get one of those proper scissor-lift things. Probably after the bike has fallen on top of me....

All the best,

Robert

1982 Hesketh V1000    
Laverdas: 1980 Jota     1985 SFC1000
Triumphs: 1994 900 Daytona Super III   1995 900 Sprint
1996 900 Speed Triple 
1999 1200 Daytona Special Edition