Author Topic: Hesketh V1000 Wanted  (Read 5377 times)

velocollins

• Brit V-Twin Fan
Hesketh V1000 Wanted
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:18:42 PM »
If anyone is considering selling their Hesketh or is aware of someone who has a Hesketh for sale privately please let me know.

I had intended purchasing the Gold Hesketh (ex Colin Evans build) from Hesketh Motorcycles but unfortunately our friends at DVLA have finally decided the bike will not be going on the road any time soon.

Thanks
Richard

David S

• HOC Committee
  • Brit Bike Fan
    • 1950 BSA A10 Golden Flash PMU121
Re: Hesketh V1000 Wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »
Richard,

I'm sorry to hear the DVLA are not cooperating. Before you give up (and bear in mind someone will eventually sort it out), you might consider contacting Mike Worthington-Williams who, through Old Bike Mart, offers help to those in your predicament.

http://www.autohistory.org.uk
worthycomments@btconnect.com

You could also flag it up with the editor of OBM, Tim Britton, who might be interested in making a case study for the paper.

http://www.oldbikemart.co.uk
tbritton@mortons.co.uk

Hope this helps.

David S

velocollins

• Brit V-Twin Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 11:26:09 PM »
Dave S,
Thank you for the tips.  I believe DVLA have made it clear to Hesketh Motorcycles that the bike will need a MSVA Inspection and will now only ever qualify for a 'Q' plate as both Frame & Engine numbers are duplicated on bikes inspected in the last few weeks by DVLA.
A 'Q' plate is not an option for me, hence my search for another bike.
Regards
Richard

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 09:12:50 PM »
This is interesting... There are some fairly tight criteria for MSVA to apply (details on the direct.gov website).

One of the criteria is that the vehicle must be "less than 10 years old" and that clearly doesn't apply here...

I reckon that there's a case to be made for this bike having been "kit built".  Colin basically bought the bike in kit form and assembled it... about 30 years ago..!

Heskeths registered latterly have been given a 17 digit VIN starting "SABTVRO" and there's already (at least) one V1000 that has been registered and then re-registered after a ground-up rebuild, using many new parts.

The direct.gov website has this to say about kit builders applying their own VIN:

"Allocating your own vehicle identification number

Individuals with kit-built or kit-converted cars may prefer to allocate their own unique 17 digit VIN number. Your nearest DVLA local office can tell you how you can do this. This does not apply if a ‘Q’ registration number is allocated."

A Q plate will only apply if MSVA is passed, but a V1000 won't pass MSVA... Section 18 of the MSVA Inspection Manual discusses exhaust systems and noise levels:

"Run the engine at a constant speed of;

¾ of its maximum power speed if that is less than or equal to 5000rpm
or

½ of its maximum power speed if that is more than 5000rpm

3. Check that the level of sound emitted for mopeds, motorcycles and light quadricycles is not more than;
a) 91 dbA with an engine capacity of 80cc or less
b) 94 dbA with an engine capacity of more than 80cc but not more than 175cc
c) 99 dbA with an engine capacity of above 175cc"

There's no chance of a standard V1000/Vampire meeting this noise limit level... Even less chance with the new "Knightswood" silencers fitted...  I haven't scanned the whole manual, but wouldn't be surprised to find other areas where technological/safety changes would prevent a Hesketh passing MSVA...

Perhaps DWS could explain the re-registration process that his bike underwent..?

Miti
1974 Triumph T160 Trident (New Project)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Trike Project)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Red Sport)
1982 Hesketh V1000 (Production/Development Engine)

David S

• HOC Committee
  • Brit Bike Fan
    • 1950 BSA A10 Golden Flash PMU121
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 01:58:59 PM »
My situation was different; I had a unique engine number but no frame number. I also had no documentation.

To register the bike I contacted the local DVLA office and they came to inspect the bike to make sure it was real and then allocated an age-related plate. There were no complications.

I will add that the chap from DVLA was both interested and helpful even to the point of meeting my request for a two digit reg number (it fits on the plate better).

No complaints.

David S

Vas

• V-Twin and Air-Cooled Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 06:39:51 PM »
Hi everybody,

I am the new proud owner of this Gold V1000 built by Collin and new in the HESKETH family.

Eventually it was sorted it out with DVLA (with the great help from Mark Webb from WebbsClasssicMotorcycles.co.uk) and the Gold V1000 built by Colin is now registered in the UK  (normal Y reg) and last week was shipped to Athens , sunny Greece for the summer.

Details and photos to follow.

Really happy and proud to own a HESKETH, it is now in good company with a Laverda 1200cc 30th, a 1979 Bonnie, a 1976 1000 Gold Wing Ltd, etc...!!!

Pete D

• Fan of all things powered
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 07:30:40 PM »
Good for you. Wonder if your numbers are similar to mine; had long conversations with DVLA about 4 weeks ago to confirm my details, due to new application to register another 1982 bike. 

Enjoy.

Pete

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 08:10:30 PM »
I wonder how many V1000s remain unregistered now..?

If the 'anecdotal evidence' is correct, there may be a few 'dopplegangers' out there..

I was told (a few years ago) that when the problems with customer bikes began to emerge, Hesketh adopted a 'like for like' replacement programme.  Problem engines were swapped 'like for like'.  That is engine with No. 'XXX' was swapped for replacement engine, also with No. 'XXX'.  This meant that any related customer paperwork (Registration Document, Handbook, etc.) didn't require amendment - Very useful for those bikes which had three engines and two frames, but remained the same bike ('Trigger's Broom' springs to mind).

Apparently, the 'plan' was to 'recycle' the removed engines (post repair/modification/testing) and fit them into production bikes with an updated engine No. (another numeral/character added to identify history).  Unfortunately, the production run didn't last long enough for the 'plan' to be implemented and some engines/casings ended up sold at auction without being re-numbered...

Over the years, those engines have been installed in bikes built from NOS parts and voila, we have a 'copycat' bike...  As soon as any prospective buyer tries to register same, DVLA alarms sound and a full blown 'investigation' is launched...

And, while we're talking about engine/frame numbers, does everyone know that the HOC maintains a database of numbers for the V1000/Vampire..?  There is a redacted version published on the HOC website...  You can see it here:

Those rows identified in yellow are regarded as 'suspect'.  There are quite a few duplicated listed...

Hope that helps

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 04:18:26 PM by Miti »

Rob B

• L-Twins and Tripples Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 11:19:42 PM »
Hello Richard,

I guess you have seen the black and red one for sale on eBay, currently belonging to Keith? It will have been well looked after and the oil leak is a fairly easy fix requiring minor modifications.

I owned the black/gold bike that Pete D is referring to and I had to take it for an inspection at the Test centre in Poole. It has the same frame and engine number as the Gold bike but could be verified back to manufacture and date of first registration; unlike the gold one which was very nicely built out of random bits by Colin, hence the non standard seat attachment etc.

Good luck,

RB
1982 Hesketh V1000    
Laverdas: 1980 Jota     1985 SFC1000
Triumphs: 1994 900 Daytona Super III   1995 900 Sprint
1996 900 Speed Triple 
1999 1200 Daytona Special Edition

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 04:15:15 PM »
That's a very old post you've responded to Robert...  Is Richard still looking for a V1000..?

Jeff

Vas

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 09:15:10 PM »
Hi Pete D, Mitti,

the Gold V1000 I recently register has Frame Number: 114 and Engine:054, of course a DVLA issued new frame number was also added to resolve these problems Mitti mentions below.

The bike runs wonderfully, just replaced rear shocks with a pair of Hagon (ex Girling for those that remember Girling...) and my next action is to lower the seat which as mentioned below is different from normal as it has the non-standard attachment.

I wonder how many V1000s remain unregistered now..?

If the 'anecdotal evidence' is correct, there may be a few 'dopplegangers' out there..

I was told (a few years ago) that when the problems with customer bikes began to emerge, Hesketh adopted a 'like for like' replacement programme.  Problem engines were swapped 'like for like'.  That is engine with No. 'XXX' was swapped for replacement engine, also with No. 'XXX'.  This meant that any related customer paperwork (Registration Document, Handbook, etc.) didn't require amendment - Very useful for those bikes which had three engines and two frames, but remained the same bike ('Trigger's Broom' springs to mind).

Apparently, the 'plan' was to 'recycle' the removed engines (post repair/modification/testing) and fit them into production bikes with an updated engine No. (another numeral/character added to identify history).  Unfortunately, the production run didn't last long enough for the 'plan' to be implemented and some engines/casings ended up sold at auction without being re-numbered...

Over the years, those engines have been installed in bikes built from NOS parts and voila, we have a 'copycat' bike...  As soon as any prospective buyer tries to register same, DVLA alarms sound and a full blown 'investigation' is launched...

And, while we're talking about engine/frame numbers, does everyone know that the HOC maintains a database of numbers for the V1000/Vampire..?  There is a redacted version published on the HOC website...  You can see it here:

Those rows identified in yellow are regarded as 'suspect'.  There are quite a few duplicated listed...

Hope that helps

Jeff

Pete D

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 09:52:19 PM »
Vas

Yours is indeed the bike that initiated the DVLA flurry; you have the same frame number as me, but mine is the 056 engine as in the HOC list.

The joys of 'handbuilt' low volume bike ownership!

Cheers

Pete

Vas

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 11:15:45 AM »
Hi Pete,

we have sister bikes then....what colour is yours?

Cheers,
Vassilis

Pete D

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 01:45:40 PM »
Hi Vassilis

Mine is black with nickel frame....

Cheers

Pete

HOCAdmin

• Administrator
  • It wasn't me, I didn't do it, it's probably Spam!
    • Hesketh Owner's Club
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 03:18:43 PM »
The bikes are all 'sisters' folks, just as all the lunatics that own/ride them are 'brothers'.  ;)

HOCAdmin
A man with a plan... occasionally...