Author Topic: Electrical "Housekeeping" - V1000  (Read 916 times)

Miti

  • HOC Committee
  • Full Member
  • *
  • Posts: 392
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
Electrical "Housekeeping" - V1000
« on: December 01, 2012, 10:02:29 AM »
When searching for a couple of photos to show the details of an upgrade to the battery leads on my V1000, I realised that my V1000 had come (to me anyway) with more than it's fair share of electrical gremlins.   When I went to view the bike, everything seemed to work... But by the time I had it back home, a few things were not as they should be...

I'll start with the battery leads:

This is how I found the +ve lead (I thought I had a better snap than this, apologies)  You can just see that the cable isn't terminated (see the strands poking out pas the boot?)  It was bared, split and trapped under a couple of copper washers... Not ideal...:

(Note:  If you don't have a "Widescreen" PC, click on a picture and use the left/right arrow keys to scan across from side to side).



I whipped that off.  The -ve lead was terminated with an 8mm ring terminal and then trapped under a 5mm bolt (other side of the hole that appears top right of this snap)  Also, not ideal...:



So, figuring that both leads could be better, I started by re-terminating the -ve one with a 6mm ring:



After a short search for an ideal frame mounting point, I plumped for the bolt that holds the rear brake light switch/brake hose union to the frame.  You can see the end of this bolt, just above the brake switch here:



I removed the original bolt, cleaned the paint off the rear of the frame lug and fitted a longer bolt, washer and nut:



By the way; all the plastics are off the bike at this point:



After that, it was a simple job to re-route the lead and secure it (If you look carefully "up the cable", you'll see I also fitted a boot.  This was slipped into place after the cable was secured and this snap taken):



The battery +ve lead was simply replaced... I bought a short car lead from halfords.  This had one 8mm ring and one 10mm... I secured the 8mm to the starter solenoid terminal, measured the required length and re-terminated the cut end with a 6mm ring, to suit the battery fixing.  Simples..!!  I've not even photographed it... (Sorry)

While I was "in the area", I also renewed the alternator stator connectors:



On the other side of the bike, I found this:



So I did this (snap taken prior to harness, etc, being resecured to frame):



Elsewhere, I discovered a couple of "nasties" and did what I could to sort them out:

Bent pin in multi-connector - now straightened:



The indicators were occasionally "reluctant", so I whipped off the cowling to make sure all was OK:



I found that the self-cancelling unit wasn't properly connected and that the rubber band that secures it to the cowling frame was perished:



I cleaned and checked all the multi-connectors, fitted new bullets wherever required and stripped/cleaned and refitted the indicators (It was a nice day and I was "on a roll...")

Afterwards the indicators were still "iffy", so I decided to take a look at the switch...  I found that the switch had been broken - the brass contact that the lever touches to cancel the indicators had been broken off.  A PO had "repaired" this by soldering a ring of brass around the lever... The ring was loose and very poorley soldered... I took a snap of the switch, prior to dismantling:



You can just see the soldered ring and that black/white wire shouldn't run over the top of the metal plate...  It should be underneath it...  I pulled the switch completely apart, removed the ring, re-terminated two wires and repaired the broken brass contact by making a new section (from the innards of an old wall light switch) and soldering it on in place of the broken part... A little adjustment (with a file) and it was sorted... It's worked fine ever since...

While I was about this task, I also removed the tail-light wiring extension and re-terminated the tail-light and rear indicator wiring with modern connectors... All in a day's work, really...

Hope that helps

Miti
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:08:30 AM by Miti »
1975 Triumph Trident 750 (New Project)
1980 Yamaha XS1100 (Midnight Special)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Trike Project)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Reg'd 1985)
1982 Hesketh V1000 (Pre-Production Engine)

Miti

  • HOC Committee
  • Full Member
  • *
  • Posts: 392
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
Re: Electrical "Housekeeping" - V1000
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 08:20:16 PM »
Did another bit of "housekeeping" that had been outstanding for a while... Changed the original "glass" fuseholder for a waterproof "spade" item:

Before:



And after:



Another "box" ticked...

Jeff
1975 Triumph Trident 750 (New Project)
1980 Yamaha XS1100 (Midnight Special)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Trike Project)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Reg'd 1985)
1982 Hesketh V1000 (Pre-Production Engine)