Author Topic: RH (Rear) Header Pipe.  (Read 3539 times)

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
RH (Rear) Header Pipe.
« on: March 04, 2013, 02:35:02 PM »
Any one got a spare RHS (Rear) exhaust header pipe (downpipe)?

Mine is brand new, but too short.  It only enters the silencer by about 1/4" and that's with the balance pipe clamp hard up against the crank-cases.

I'm concerned that this will mark/chafe the cases and also because the bike backfires terribly on the over-run, due to the air being drawn into the header/silencer joint.  It's impossible to properly seal this joint as the split in the exhaust clamp is longer than the distance the header enters into it, so there's a gap...

I have had the exhaust completely off the bike and refitted/adjusted everything as much as possible... It's on as good as it will go (IMHO) and the bottom line is that header is just too short...  :'(

Anyway... Let me know, eh..?  If I can't get a new one. I'll get an extension welded onto this one... It'll be inside the silencer, so no-one will see it... ;D

Jeff

BTW.. If you have an old one, that might do to cut and weld mine... Every little helps, according to Mr Tesco!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:52:21 PM by HOCAdmin »
1974 Triumph T160 Trident (New Project)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Trike Project)
1981 Yamaha XS1100 Sport (Red Sport)
1982 Hesketh V1000 (Production/Development Engine)

Dave Snr

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
Re: RH (Rear) Header Pipe.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Common problem with the Hesketh exhausts.

When Rob Bennett had his 10 sets made by Motad, it was one of his requests to get more of the pipe inside the silencer. Can't remember whether they made the pipes longer or the silencer section longer.
Whichever it was it worked, as when I fitted my set there was plenty of pipe inside the silencer.

The club needs to look at making another batch of pipes/silencers - subject to be discussed at the agm, so we can include Hesketh Motorcycles in the discussion.

Dave H (snr)

Rob B

• L-Twins and Tripples Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 09:55:16 AM »
Hello Jeff and Dave,

MOTAD made the pipes 30mm longer for me. I think the only real mistake I made with that batch (of 12 complete stainless systems) is the position of the LH balance pipe clamp which was still too close to the rear suspension torque arm I think. For the next batch I would move it round a bit to give better clearance.

Thanks again Dave for your help with the last batch!

Talking of the next batch, would you recommend Absorption type silencers (noisy) or the same baffles (quiet) as original that we copied for the last set?

Still nobody can tell me if the systems fitted on the bikes without the balance pipe but with very noisy "silencers" works or not. Hence, I would stick with a balance pipe because I know how badly the old bikes run if it is omitted and blanked off.

Cheers,

Robert
Hesketh V1000 Black/Gold/Gold EN10++
Hesketh V1000 Red/Black/Black EN10++
Hesketh V1000 Black/Red/Black EN0
Laverda 180 Jota  Orange!
Triumph 900 Sprint

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:37:42 PM »
Hi Guys;

Another "well known" problem, eh..?  Nice to be reassured that it's not my incompetent fitting skills though...

I've spoken to a good friend, who is a properly trained welder... He's advised that a welded butt joint on an exhaust header would be highly susceptible to cracking due to the qualities of the type of steel used to manufacture the header and the vibrations of the engine/bike...

So, I'm going to tolerate the back-firing for the time-being and go back to "Plan A".

Plan A is to improve the sealing twix silencers and balance pipe.  The Hesketh exhaust system construction is typical of other Motad systems I've seen:  Single skinned headers, reflection baffled silencers and single-bolt split clamps on the joints...  Modern OEM motorcycle systems are of much higher quality and normally have double-skinned headers and carbon/metal seals within full depth sockets at the joints. It's WAY too expensive (for me) to have double-skinned headers produced (I quite like the blueing anyway) so I'm going to concentrate on improving the joints...

I have a pair of unused silencers with chroming defects...  I bought these from HOC at the 2011 AGM...  I'm going to modify these by making up proper sockets to house appropriate seals (I already have the seals, sourced from Wemoto).  Once fabricated and fitted, I'll have the silencers re-chromed and add stainless steel clamps... That'll do away with the problem of the headers being too short and the air leaks...

If I were speaking with Motad about a new batch of exhausts, I'd certainly be looking to get the fit and sealing issues addressed as part of the batch production.  Motad have been making aftermarket replacement parts for years, using these types of seals and clamps, so it wouldn't be a problem for them...

And as for discussing the production of a new batch at the AGM... Why?  The subject was agreed at the 2011 AGM and discussed further at the 2012 AGM.  Since then, Hesketh M/C have had their own produced and another batch has been discussed on this forum...  Surely all that's needed is to invite orders and to finalise specification..?

I'd be happy to work with Motad on my proposals to improve the sealing (I'll fund the additional parts myself) and if it works as well as I anticipate it will, the club will benefit not only from availabilty of new systems, but also to an update to the design...

As for absoption versus reflection baffles...?  I don't think Motad build absorption silencers, do they..?

Jeff
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:41:56 PM by Miti »

Tig

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 04:09:30 PM »
Hi Jeff

I will have a spare set of the new longer Motad Pipes if your interested.

I can bring them to the AGM or Stafford

Tig

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »
Hi Tig;

I bought a set via Robert B.  I hope they're ok...  Not tried them yet...

Just need to get a silencer rechromed and I have a spare exhaust system.. :D

Can anyone recommend a good rechromer..?

Jeff

Rob B

• L-Twins and Tripples Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 06:01:49 PM »
I spoke to a few chromers at Stafford but it is a dying art, or mighty expensive.

Thanks to Elf & Safety!

RB
Hesketh V1000 Black/Gold/Gold EN10++
Hesketh V1000 Red/Black/Black EN10++
Hesketh V1000 Black/Red/Black EN0
Laverda 180 Jota  Orange!
Triumph 900 Sprint

Miti

• HOC Committee
  • Brit V-Twin Fan
    • Hesketh Owners Club
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 06:12:43 PM »
Yes... I've been quoted between £80 - £120 to get one silencer re-chromed...  Not a cheap option, but cheaper than another pait of silencers.

Jeff